APRS support for Marble
There isn't a pre-compiled one anywhere yet, but there likely will be at
some point. The patch has been rolled into the main source of marble so
you can just download a recent version from their SVN server and compile
It should be as simple as:
svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kdeedu/marble
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles"
Then get the icons from
And move the "data/aprs" directory to
You should be good to go after that!
Unfortunately the source of the above icons is such that the
copyright doesn't exist, which means the marble developers can't
accept them into the base distribution. If you're a good icon creator
and want to create some new APRS icons (using the oxygen color
pallet) we could really use your help!
Turn it on:
- Settings -> "Configure Marble Desktop Globe"
- Make sure the checkbox is checked next to "Amateur Radio Aprs Plugin"
- Optionally configure it using the preferences button
Connecting it to a TNC:
- The TNC support in it is very minimal at the moment. It only
supports text-dump output from something like a TinyTrak4 in it's
default "text" output format. It doesn't yet support KISS output
(but it will eventually).
If you do have it connected to a TNC you'll get multiple colors for
the callsign labels:
- Green: Received directly (IE, not even through a digipeater)
- Blue: Received from the TNC
- Purple: Received over both TNC and from the Internet Gateway
- Red: Information received from the Internet Gateway
- Yellow: If received through the configured file
Last modified: Mon Jun 14 06:24:42 PDT 2010